The manufacturing industry has been a booming one in recent times. Innovation flows within it like a normal river and keeps creating the required impact on the world. The same is also the case with the style of making any product. Owing to lightweight and yet highly effective performance in the product, the concepts of additive manufacturing is gaining the new light.
And when it comes to additive manufacturing, fdm 3d printing is the one for you. Read on to find more about this latest technology, and how can it be implemented in recent times.
Understanding the technology
FDM is considered as a cost-effective and yet impactful process of additive manufacturing, where precision is top-most. It finds its applications majorly in the fields of rapid prototyping or low volume production and can be implemented on a range of materials used in the industry (metals, polymers, plastics, and the list goes on).
One of the best things about FDM is that the lead time and delivery time are pretty fast and it can be attributed to a lesser amount of post-processing required for the projects. Thus, if you want to check out your prototype fast, then it is highly recommended to use this technology.
The following are features of fdm 3d printing:
- Belongs to the family of material extrusion and uses the concept of fused material technology.
- Selective deposition of the molten material as per the layers decided by the designer, alongside a pre-determined path.
- Can be used in different areas like material extrusion, vat polymerization, powder bed fusion, material jetting, binder jetting, powder bed fusion of metals, and many more.
- Advanced technology that can reduce material wastage in the process and ensure the optimal quality of the products.
- Use of innovative software that goes compatible to any file created out of different CAD softwares and creates the individual slices perfectly.
- Easy conversion of the slices to corresponding codes for moving ahead with the production.
Thus, it is no doubt that the process is highly robust and efficient.
The working methodology
The following steps lay down the details on working of fdm 3d printing:
- Melting of the material into the liquid state by keeping at a very high temperature.
- Extruding the polymer out through a nozzle and depositing the same on a print head.
- Solidification of the molten matter to form the solid body.
- Eventual arrangement of the shape in 3D space to form out the required objects.
Do note that the accuracy of the entire process is up to 0.004”, and hence the finish will be of impeccable quality.
With fdm 3d printing technology, you can enjoy the given benefits:
- Cost-effectiveness on the products
- Flexibility on the material choice
- Faster production time
- Less time for post-processing
- Simple interface for using the overall equipment
- Applications in different activities, primarily rapid prototyping, concept low-cost models, and manufacturing tools.
Therefore, the time has come to take the help of such an innovative concept and become the first in the market to deliver classy products.